Mule Duffel Service
This is a special service to have your duffel/pack carried by mule to/from the South Rim and in and/or out of Grand Canyon. This service must be reserved and paid for in advance.
- We operate duffel service year round. Service may be suspended if trail conditions are unsafe.
- $72.69 each way, per duffel.
- To reserve, please call central reservations at 888-29-PARKS or 303-29-PARKS (outside of the US)
Weight and dimensions
Weight limit is 30 pounds per duffel. Maximum dimensions per duffel are 36” x 20” x 13”. Gear must be packed inside your own duffel bag with no outside attachments such as walking sticks, fishing poles, canteens, etc. We cannot carry external frame packs. Gear can be transferred to a duffel and the empty pack and frame carried out by hikers. Duffels that weigh over 30 pounds will be charged the full price for a second duffel.
When packing food in your duffel
- There are wildlife and critters that will try to get to the food packed in backpacks/duffels
- If packing food, we encourage to place food in very sturdy plastic containers
- Please place a label that says “FOOD” on the exterior of the duffel
- Guests may not want to use new backpacks/duffels to pack food, as wildlife/critters may try to get into their bag
- We have limited storage to protect duffels and will not guarantee their protection from wildlife/critters
In-bound duffel procedures
In-bound duffels are duffels being taken down to Phantom Ranch. They must be presented at the Xanterra Livery Barn by 3:30 p.m. the day prior to the day they are to go down to Phantom Ranch. (Late Duffels are not encouraged. Duffels can be delivered to Phantom Ranch or to the boat beach (if rafting out).
Out-bound duffel procedures
Out-bound duffels are duffels being taken out of the canyon up to Grand Canyon Village. They must be presented at the Phantom Ranch Loading Dock no later than 6:30 a.m. – on the day they are to be taken up out of the canyon. The weighing, measuring and loading occurs only at Phantom Ranch.
Duffels may be claimed between 3:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. at the Xanterra Livery Barn the day they are brought up from the canyon (between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. in the winter) or between 6:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. the following day.
Late duffel procedures
Late pickup of duffels coming up from Phantom Ranch is accommodated between 4:00 p.m. and 6:30 a.m.
Delivery of late duffels going down to Phantom Ranch must be arranged for prior to midnight the day/evening prior to delivery at Phantom.
A $10 additional charge (late fee) will be collected for late duffels per call (not per duffel).
Guests should call the Xanterra switchboard at 928-638-2631 so the operator can arrange for an employee to handle the late duffel request.