The premier lodging facility
This celebrated Historic Hotel located directly on the rim of the Grand Canyon first opened its doors in 1905. The hotel was designed by Charles Whittlesey, Chief Architect for the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway. The Chicago architect envisioned the hotel as a cross between a Swiss chalet and a Norwegian Villa. This was done in an effort to appeal to the tastes of the elite from that era, who at the time considered European culture the epitome of refinement. El Tovar was one of a chain of hotels and restaurants owned and operated by the Fred Harvey Company in conjunction with the Santa Fe Railway. The hotel was built from local limestone and Oregon pine. It cost $250,000 to build, and many considered it the most elegant hotel west of the Mississippi River. In 1987 the Hotel was designated a National Historic Landmark. In the past, the hotel has hosted such luminaries as Theodore Roosevelt, Albert Einstein, Western author Zane Grey, President Bill Clinton, Sir Paul McCartney and countless others.
Today, El Tovar retains its elegant charm and is widely considered the crown jewel of Historic National Park Lodges. Located on the canyon rim it features a fine dining room, lounge, gift shop and newsstand. El Tovar offers its guests full bell service, a lobby concierge and in-room dining. El Tovar is a world-class travel destination.
El Tovar has 78 rooms many of which are suites. Due to the historic nature of the hotel no two rooms are alike, which gives the hotel distinctive charm. There are 12 hotel suites, each one with a unique name, identity and decor. For example the Zane Grey Suite with sitting room and balcony, appointed with unique wall art specific to the author.
- Standard rooms have one queen or one double bed
- Deluxe rooms have either one king bed or two queen beds
- Suites have a bedroom with either one king bed or two queen beds, and a sitting room. Several of the suites have a porch or balcony. Suites are available for reservation at rates ranging from $401 – $489 per night. Due to the unique nature and high demand for these exclusive rooms they cannot be reserved online. To make a reservation, please contact us toll-free at 888-29-PARKS (297-2757)
- El Tovar offers accessible rooms. To see available ADA-compliant rooms check the “ADA/Accessible Rooms” box in the online reservations application or call Central Reservations at (888) 297-2757.
In-Room Amenities & Guest Services
- Hotel Concierge and Bell Service
- All accommodations include satellite TV, in-room Keurig coffee maker, safe, telephone, full bath and air conditioning.
- The entire Hotel is designated Non-Smoking. If you smoke in the guest room a charge of $175 will be added.
- Many rooms and suites will accommodate a rollaway bed, based on request and subject to availability.
- No hotel parking fees, El Tovar is a Self-Parking facility
- In-Room Dining is available during regular dining room hours.
El Tovar Room Rates
|Room Type||2015 Rate||2016 Rate|
|Standard, one double bed||$197||$207|
|Standard, one queen bed||$239||$251|
|Extra person for standard & deluxe rooms only||$14||$14|
NOTE: All rooms are non-smoking. If you smoke in the guest room a charge of $175 will be added. Rates are subject to tax.
Accessible rooms: Accessible rooms are available, including some with roll-in showers. To see available ADA-compliant rooms check the “ADA/Accessible Rooms” box in the online reservations application or call Central Reservations at (888) 297-2757.