Environmental Action at Grand Canyon National Park
At Xanterra Parks and Resorts, operator of Grand Canyon National Park Lodges, we believe that there are few more important – or more complex- tasks ahead of us than that of reaching an ecological balance between business and the natural environment.
We are a company based upon values that reflect an environmental ethic and social conscience – for the long term. We are taking the lead in this call and are implementing comprehensive environmental initiatives. Xanterra’s business practices exemplify environmental stewardship, and a desire to protect and preserve the public lands on which we operate.
- Our business decisions balance economic viability with ecological responsibility
- We reduce and recycle waste, conserve energy and water, and educate our guests and employees on environmental stewardship
- We believe that increasing the sustainability of natural systems is not just good business—it is the right thing to do.
Balance Between Business and Environment
At Xanterra South Rim, L.L.C. we believe that there are few more formidable – or more complex tasks ahead of us than that of reaching a balance between business and the natural environment. Ultimately, our planet’s – as well as our very own well-being depend upon the continued health of natural systems.
Our environmental efforts can generally be divided into two categories:
Sustainability – what we do to develop the most environmentally sound resort operations. Actions identified in our comprehensive Environmental Management Plan address:
- Waste management
- Energy and water conservation
- Pollution prevention
- Green design
- Green procurement
Improving the World Around Us – what we do to support and promote environmental protection, activism, and preservation outside of our operations. As we improve the environmental footprint of our operations, Xanterra South Rim, L.L.C. remains attentive to the world beyond our boundaries. We have taken action through:
- Our local clean-up days
- Our fish policy to protect threatened species
- Our energy reductions to reduce regional air pollution and protect the atmosphere
- Our employee volunteer program
We know that our commitment to the environment is ongoing, will take constant work, and will always need improving. Simply, we know we’re not perfect. But we will continue to strive to protect natural resources, taking steps toward protecting the quality of life for our guests, our employees, our children – and the entire planet