What to Bring and Wear
As part of our world-famous mule rides, we’re happy to provide the following items to make the most of your experience: a new canteen when you check in you get to keep it when you’re done; one of our rain jackets in case of weather changes and a small plastic bag to put your overnight things in and transport them to Phantom Ranch. Phantom Ranch guests will want to take clothes to change into once they arrive at the ranch. We require that hats, cameras, glasses, and sunglasses be secured to your person–see below!
- Wide-Brimmed Hat: The hat must tie underneath your chin. (We have string or you can buy a hat at the desk). Ball caps are not recommended, as they do not provide enough coverage.
- Long-Sleeved Shirt: Lightweight in the summer to protect from sunburn and dehydration. Wear a tank top or T-shirt underneath if you like. In the winter, a long-sleeved shirt combined with sweaters or sweatshirts.
- Long Pants, No Shorts or Capri Pants, Solid, Closed-Toe Shoes, with a smooth, hard sole (like cowboy boots). Tennis shoes are okay in the summer. Heavy, thick-soled hiking boots are not encouraged as their tread may catch in the stirrups.
Recommended for Your Ride
- One Camera, Compact Video Camera, or Pair of Binoculars per person: They must be on a strap or string around your neck, leaving your hands free. If your camera has a wrist strap, or no strap, we will help you tie a neck cord with string at the desk.
- Rain Pants: You can bring your own or rent ours (we have a limited supply). Experience has taught us that when it’s cold, wet, and windy waterproof and windproof pants keep you warm and dry.
- Gloves: Recommended from October through May.
- Swimsuit/Shorts/Water Sandals: For Phantom Ranch riders, Bright Angel Creek is perfect to get in and cool off-April-October.
- Scarf or Bandanna: Year-round. Cotton for summer, wool or silk for winter.
- Layered Clothing: During winter months-thermal style underwear, fleece, wool shirts, sweaters, jackets, etc. for temperatures below freezing.
- Flashlight: Many guests find a flashlight helpful on overnight trips.
- Sunglasses: Good quality with ultraviolet light protection. If you have your own restraining device (e.g. Croakies or Chums) please bring it along. If not, we will provide you with string to tie your glasses on.
- Sun Protection: Sunscreen, lip sunscreen, or moisturizer are always recommended.
Not Allowed Any Time of Year
Backpacks, waist packs, extra camera lenses, camera bags, full-sized video cameras, (8mm or VHS-C are okay with restrictions), two-way radios, cell phones or purses. Wallets and keys should be moved from a back pocket to a front pocket so you don’t lose them on the trail (or sit on them all day, leaving an indelible impression).
Available at Phantom Ranch
Guests spending the night at Phantom Ranch often wish to purchase a variety of items for sale at the bottom of the canyon, including beer and wine, snacks, stamps, post cards, T-shirts, film, first aid supplies, and toiletries. Major credit cards and cash are accepted.